The Berkeley Public Policy Journal is the student-led publication of the Goldman School of Public Policy at the University of California, Berkeley. The Journal engages readers in a public dialogue on current policy issues, reflecting the diverse views of our students, faculty, staff, and supporters. We publish articles that critique, analyze, and provide recommendations on critical issues with the goal of influencing policy and stimulating public discourse.
We are currently accepting submissions for our Spring 2023 print journal. Submissions for our print journal are due by Sunday, February 12, 2023. We welcome web submissions on a continuous basis during the semester. See below for our general submission policies for print and web articles. Should you have any questions, please consult this website or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Authors are encouraged to review past issues in our archive for a sense of the expected tone and content. We encourage the following types of submissions:
- Print articles consist of independent research on a timely policy issue and its design, implementation, or practice. They are published in our twice-yearly print journals. Submissions for print articles should incorporate independent research and support claims with original evidence. (2,000–5,000 words)
- Web articles are shorter articles, and do not have to include independent research. They oftentimes discuss ethical questions and personal opinions on a particular topic. (max 2,000 words).
- Visuals include infographics, political/satirical cartoons, data visualizations, or graphics.
- Submissions must be original work.
- All submissions should be written for a general audience.
- Articles should be timely, jargon-free, and should support all claims with clear and convincing evidence.
- We encourage you to include a high-resolution image or figure to accompany your article.
- Submissions that have already been published elsewhere may still be eligible for BPPJ publication. Please email us at email@example.com if this applies to you, as these decisions are made on a case-by-case basis.
- Please submit your article by placing it in a Google document, and including the Google document link in the Google Forms submission form below. Please make sure that your security settings allow for us to view and edit the Google document.
Submit an Article to the Journal
Google Form: https://forms.gle/PTsySAGphM3THPsEA